January 2017 is right around the corner. Have you thought about your New Year’s resolutions?
It’s the perfect time to identify your goals, set your priorities, and reset your attitude. But instead of the usual resolutions — lose weight, read more, and so on — why not focus on some fun this year? For Cleveland, there are a ton of events, opportunities, and experiences to take advantage of as you plan out your year.
Ready to knock out your Cleveland bucket list? Here are some ideas to get you started:
The Hard Rock Rocksino is the perfect venue for the biggest and hottest concerts in Cleveland. Check out the upcoming concert calendar and treat your ears to some live music. After all, listening to music increases your dopamine (the “feel-good” neurotransmitter) levels — so it’s beneficial for your body and mind!
Other ideas for rockin’ things to do in Cleveland include visiting the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, checking out a smaller venue like the Music Box Supper Club, or taking on the karaoke stage at Tina’s Nite Club.
There are tons of things to do in Cleveland for both locals and tourists alike, and some of the best festivals and events let visitors explore different cultures. This year, expand your mind by checking out the Cleveland Kurentovanje in February, the Cleveland International Film Festival in the Spring, or the Feast of the Assumption in August.
Losing weight and getting in shape are common resolutions. Why not explore your city while you’re at it? With the various “fun runs,” 5ks, half marathons, and marathons held in Cleveland, you’re bound to find one that fits your fitness level. Consider the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon, the Snoball Run, or The Color Run.
If getting outdoors is a part of your fitness plan in 2017, Cleveland Metroparks is a great resource to find year-round activities to continue your great strides from, or even prepare for, these 5k events.
Along with setting goals to better yourself and your life, think about ways you can give back to your community. Opportunities to volunteer in Cleveland are everywhere, from the Homeless Stand-Down to the Cleveland Metroparks and the Cleveland Clinic.
Stay on Track.
Once you’ve set your resolutions for 2017, make sure you have a plan in place for actually doing them! Here are some tips for keeping your resolutions:
- Make sure your goals are SMART: specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound. The more specific you can be, the better. Instead of saying “I want to volunteer more,” make it measurable: “I want to volunteer once each month.”
- Keep track of your progress. Break one big goal into smaller pieces, and set timelines for each. Celebrate as you get closer to the goal!
- Share your goals with friends and family. This may take some courage, depending on your goal, but it’s a great way to hold yourself accountable.
- Schedule it in. Mark specific time on your calendar to dedicate to your goal. As an example: if you want to check out more live music in 2017, take a look at concert calendars and add your favorites to your calendar right away. Don’t put off buying tickets!
- Stay patient. If you want to run a half marathon, you won’t be able to run 13.1 miles overnight. Even if you’ve followed tip #1 and broken it down into smaller chunks, be patient with yourself. Your initial progress may be slow-going, but it certainly counts!
Good luck, and let’s make 2017 a year to remember!